Wednesday, April 15, 2009

How much trust?

This morning I twittered a question: "How dependent on the Holy Spirit are we willing to live?" This question keeps rolling around in my own noggin. In the last several years God has certainly accelerated the necessity to answer this question in my life. Several years ago we stepped out in faith from a secure position believing that God was leading us elsewhere. We found wilderness and a situation of almost being forced to trust God beyond our ability to handle. Now we are taking an all or nothing leap of faith as a church into a new building in order to grow and impact the West Shore region. Let me be real for a sec, if this leap of faith doesn't work out, I lose my "job," my income, and won't be able to afford the house we live in. My family and I will be a statistic. So why risk it? One reason only. I feel the Lord's direction in this. By His grace, I feel continued confirmations all along the way.

I have the distinct feeling of what David must have felt looking at Goliath. I, like you, have two sides to me. On the one hand I am looking at the enormity of the risk of the situation in front of me. I see that we will need to grow substantially in a short amount of time. I see the hardship of turning around a church and recruiting others to help in this adventure. On the other hand, I feel a great offense in my spirit that anything would dare to stand in the way of God's Kingdom. To see what is happening in our country as Christians shrink back in fear and intimidation of the giant of cultural pressures, makes me want to lead the charge and kill that thing! God is not dead! He is still looking for champions who will answer the call. What made David a champion that day? Though he had been through some battles before (lion, bear), ultimately it was his trust in the Lord. He put himself at risk with no guarantees or assurances except his faith because He trusted that God would be with Him and cause him to succeed. His risk, his action, God's provision, God's power.

So...how dependent on the Holy Spirit are you willing to live? Would you risk your career to serve God on the mission field? Would you risk providing for your family to follow God's direction? Would you risk being labeled "fool" or "fanatic" to follow the voice of Jesus in a different direction? (I mean really has your way worked out better?) Would you be willing to put your stuff on the line and be part of God's answer to this generation? I say YES! Let's do this!

0 comments:

Post a Comment