Friday, April 17, 2009

Guidance for my misguided ways

Well, I was totally eavesdropping on the patio at Panera yesterday (cuz that's how I roll), and listened to this one lady talking. She was conveying various aspects of her life, most of which were totally jacked, and then she says "well, I'm just praying for guidance."

I found myself wondering, "How often do we ask for guidance in our misguided ways?" In other words, after we craft our own way and make a mess of things, how often do we ask God to work things out for us in our messes? Often the request is for God to make our messes a little more manageable rather than asking for forgiveness and adopting God's ways instead of our ways. We love being our own god even though we totally screw things up.

"God, I'd really like it if you would rearrange my mess pile a little, but don't get rid of it...I've grown attached to the stench of garbage"

Just give it up. Trust me, I'm a great mess maker. But I learned (and am learning) to follow God's ways in my "new life." The air is great out here!

(Thank God for His grace, but stop clinging to your garbage!)

4 comments:

Chilly said...

so, I'm sitting outside at Starbucks trying to eavesdrop but I can't figure out where this music is coming from... ahhh, it's your blog! seriously, I was looking around - I thought it was starbucks elevator music until I really listened.

anyways, good thoughts here... I really try to be teachable and open. life is easier when I'm learning!

Pastor Eric said...

Haha! that's awesome!

thanks for sharing!

Anna Elliott said...

So I just discovered a new blog....it's yours! Yay! So you're sayin not to ask Jesus to go dumpster divin' with ya. I can dig it! hahah! btw, I clicked on all your ads. that's all it takes to make you some $?!?

Pastor Eric said...

Cool!
re: the ads...apparently so, though I have yet to see any tangible results!

Hope you guys are doing good!

Post a Comment