Monday, June 27, 2016

Is Pastor Talking About ME?!?!

So maybe you've been in church at various points and as the pastor is preaching all of a sudden they are using an illustration that feels like they are reading your mail to the rest of the church.  "Is he talking about me?!?...Did someone tell him??"  Or maybe even worse, it sounds like he is saying something that you confided in him about previously.  Through the years I have had people come up to me after services with a variety of emotional responses because of this.  To be honest some have been quite angry at me! But what is the truth? *IS* the pastor talking about YOU??  

Before I answer, let me say this:  I always go to church with an open heart and with "ears to hear" as Jesus says in the Gospels.  I hunger to hear His voice and as such when I am listening to another pastor speak I am listening for the Spirit's voice to communicate to me.  I would hope that all of you are placing yourselves in a similar posture to hear and obey.


The answer to the question in about 95% of cases (did you know that 87.56467% of statistics are made up???) is, "No. The pastor is not talking about you" nor is he referring to what you shared with him in private.  Every man and woman of God that I know spends many hours in prayer and preparation before standing behind the pulpit to share what we all hope and pray is God's message to His people in that moment.  That's not to say that different situations and conversations with people don't spark something that will be a driving force behind a Sunday morning message. Keep in mind that the majority of the New Testament, which is God's Word to us today, is actually letters written to specific people about specific situations in their lives or in the church.  Those communications covered everything from disciplining people to commending them and through them God is still speaking to us today. I once had a lady get so offended because I wrote a blog about an issue that she had brought up to me in conversation.  It sparked something in me that I felt needed to be addressed on a larger level to other people. Though I never mentioned that conversation or the person in the blog, she soon left the church. ( #BaitOfSatan )  


The bottom line is that the vast majority of times, it is simply the Holy Spirit talking to you because you have rightly placed yourself in an environment where it is easier than normal for Him to to do so.  And you should not only respond accordingly, but be grateful that He is speaking to you and leading you in your growth. If it happens that the pastor is using your conversation or situation within a sermon because the Lord sparked something within them that He wants spoken to the Whole, then be even more thankful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment