Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Recession or Revival

It has been a truth that during the hardest times in history past that people all over the world have found hope in Risen Christ. People often point to the various hardships in the world as a reason to doubt the existence of God. "How could a loving God...?" When it is in fact that our fellow human beings have been the ones to inflict harm.

People right not in this country are suffering. People are experiencing fear about their futures, people are losing their homes, being laid off, "nesteggs" disappearing, and that's not even to mention the plight of those who were poor before this economic meltdown. Responsible people are feeling the pinch and effects of those who acted irresponsible. But apart from bringing to light the need for reform is there any other lesson here?

I know I was taught that the $ was almighty. We were to navigate our lives based upon the acquisition of this strange little symbol... $. Even when God called me into the ministry I felt the pull of $. There's nothing wrong with $. In fact I would like to have many more of $! I think people should endeavor to make as much $ as possible in order to build the Kingdom of God. But I have been fighting my whole Christian life not to be ruled by $. Each time I switched ministry positions (3) I have gone down in pay, yet it was always the Lord. A few years back I experienced the pain of what many people are experiencing now. I found myself without a job, without income through no act of wrong doing. I became one of those guys I swore I never would... a guy in his mid-30's who had to move back in with his parents..wife, kids and all! I felt shame, fear, anger at myself and God. It was the hardest time in my life to date...and God led me there. What I didn't know or see was that it was God's graduate school for me. It was a time to truly learn that God is my provision; nothing or no one else is. I may not like how he provides...it might offend my pride, but he cares for me. I went from being, for all intents and purposes, homeless to now experiencing being a first time homeowner in a nice neighborhood. Why? We trusted God and we waited and we prayed and asked God's direction. Everyday it was a fight to crucify my desires, goals and pride in order to wait on the Lord.

Have you discovered the freedom of living by faith and the Word of the Lord? Matthew 6:33 (TNIV) "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." Have you learned this yet?"

You see we are fine with the "God thing," until it costs us. Until it leads us to a place where we are truly out of control. And yet is that not the lesson of where we find ourselves as a nation right now? We have kicked God out of our country and remade it in our own image...and look what's happened.

Are you broken enough where you realize that wherever else you place your trust in besides Jesus is going to lead to death? There is favor and provision for His children. He cares for us and we care for one another. Are tired of serving the false god of $? Revival always comes with the tearing down of our idols...not making a nice place for God right next to them. I am looking for revival and an explosion of people turning to Jesus during this time of trial. Will you find hope there as so many have throughout the centuries? Repent of the desire to be your own God in the name of "responsibility" or "providing for my family."

Matthew 3:2 (TNIV) ...“Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.”

Live the adventure that is following Jesus.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good stuff! Pretty much exactly where I am!

Post a Comment