Thursday, January 10, 2008

My Son, Josiah

This morning I was in the car listening to the new Steven Curtis Chapman CD that I got for Christmas. I have been feeling pretty overwhelmed with the "stuff" of life lately. Sometimes it just gets out of control and starts choking you, ya know? Anyway, on one of the songs he has his son sing a little part with him. It wasn't a sappy tear-jerker kind of song; in fact it was upbeat and so far my fav (Children of God). As I thought about how SCC must have felt to have his son sing on the CD with him, my thoughts and heart drifted toward my own son. I thought about what if one day I get to listen to my son preach the Word of God...and I just lost it. Every dad hopes that in some way his son will walk in his footsteps when he grows up, but with what I do it's a calling not a choice. But the thought of my son growing up with the call of God on his life to preach the Word, just completely destroys me (in a good way!) As I said I cannot push or prod my son in that direction, even though I know someone can "preach" the Wordin various ways with various vocations. I know God has a unique and special plan for my son that is all his own. But I found myself praying two things though my tears. "God, let my son be a lover of your Word." and "God help me to live in such a way that if you do call him, he will have seen a dad that loves you completely and tries to follow you authentically everyday."

Just some thoughts to share...

God bless you today!

0 comments:

Post a Comment