Thursday, June 10, 2010

In the Words of My Great Grandpa

In the Words of My Great Grandpa, Everett (Pa) Hunley. While organizing I ran across some papers that my great-grandpa had written. It was him recording the story of his life. He lived in the hills of Kentucky. He was born in 1902 and went to be with the Lord in 1998. He was married for over 75 years to the love of his life my Great-Grandma, Martha (Ma) Hunley.

In this story he goes on to tell about how there were no modern conveniences; water was retrieved from a spring; he awoke each morning to go chop wood for the day. "People did not look ahead like they do now."

Some tidbits: (retained some of the spelling and grammar errors to preserve effect)

Marriage and finances:
"Half the marriages today ends up in divorce. When I was young they married for love. They didn't marry for sex or money. You never heard of divorce. No body in debt ever body enjoyed their selves. I don't own any body anything and have got my home, but I worry about grand-kids and great grand-kids. It hurts me to see them worry. I had to work hard all my life, now I don't haft to work, but I have pains and troubles, but I still enjoy life."

Religion:
"I like the old fashion preacher better. They preached by the spirit. When they had a revival, then it would go on for two or three weeks when the Spirit got in two it. You would hear shouting and crying all over the church house. Now you go to church it is more like some kind of a play. Your kids wont agree with me but I like the old time religion that the Power above gets involved in. Homemade religion don't work. Going to church don't work. Paying the preacher don't work. All that works is the spirit of Jesus Christ and if the Spirit don't lead you, it is all fake. It tells you in the Bible if the Spirit quits dealing with you, you are doomed to Hell. When they prayed, ever body would get on there knees. Now they stand up, fraid they will get dirt on their knees. The Bible says ever knee shall bow so that is enough about religion."

Good stuff.

1 comments:

Ron said...

Amen Pa.

Post a Comment